Author Topic: Opinions on supplementing a raw diet  (Read 1030 times)

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Opinions on supplementing a raw diet
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »
Found a some what local product that I am considering useing once I switch Shells over to a full raw diet. This is a all-in one human grade organic suppliment. Let me know your opinions and weather you think a fish body oil and a probiotic are still needed with this product or maybe a lesser dose of these things. Just prepping for a full switch. Let me know what you think.

Finally! One organic, human-grade supplement that provides your pet with a complete array of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, essential fatty acids, powerful antioxidants and digestive microflora! High bioavailability is ensured by the use of Organic, Human-Grade Whole Food sources as opposed to artificial, synthetic ingredients. Proprietary Blend of Certified Organic Kelp, Certified Organic Flax Seed, Certified Organic Bee Pollen, Human-Grade Hydrolyzed Whitefish (Whole, Dried Fish Fillet), Certified Organic Garlic, Certified Organic Spirulina, Organic Lecithin, Fish Oil, Rosemary, Probiotics, Enzymes and powerful Antioxidants including Vitamins C & E. Even the most finicky eater will love the taste of Wholistic Canine Complete!
Ingredients: Certified Organic Kelp, Certified Organic Flax Seed, Organic Bee Pollen, Hydrolyzed Whitefish (Whole, Dried Fish Fillet), Vitamin C*, Certified Organic Garlic, Organic Lecithin, Certified Organic Spirulina, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Amylase, Protease, Protease II, Protease III, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase, Peptizyme SP , Maltase, Sucrase, Bromelain, Rosemary, Sage. *Vitamin C as Ester C. *Vitamin C as Ester C.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:58:21 PM by Bers »
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: Opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29:42 AM »
I don't think any of the raw feeders on this forum supplement on that scale. Maybe some kelp or bone meal or other supplements added to the meals, but I would think one of the benefits of a whole, raw, species appropriate diet would be that you wouldn't need to supplement. Is this product designed to be fed with a raw diet, or just to supplement any diet?
Amber

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
 Bers, This is just based on a Proprieter of a health dog food stores recomendation. She said check it out. This is also based on a Premade raw that does not have many exta's mixed in. Just the protien of choice,Bone, a little organ meat and just a few veggies. Not nearly as mutch as say a Natures Variety brand.

Many things I have read to date (I am still researching and prepping) Say that a with a diet like this, 2 things are necessary.  One is a vitamin/mineral supplement and the other is a essential fatty acid supplement ( fish body oil, salmon oil, flax seed oil)

Also said to be optional would be enzymes, probiotics, and Vit E if not included in the fatty acid supplement.

Now I know some swear on not supplementing at all, but I have to believe that with a basic Pre made such as Bravo, that some supplementation is needed, but I am learning and hope some with experiance can give there opinions.   

Wonder if this would be better in the raw feeding section?

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:57:45 PM »
You don't seem to be getting any responses so I'll move it to the raw area and give it a more descriptive title so people know what you're question is about.
Amber

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: Opinions on supplementing a raw diet
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »
Thanks Bers! :thumbsup:

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:22:04 AM »
Might be just fine, it depends on the bio available nutrient content of the raw you are feeding. Just keep in mind that when you are giving fish oil be sure to supplement with Vit. E.
I give vit E and ester-C daily to my dogs. I also use Coconut oil instead of fish oil supplement. They also get kelp and alfalfa once or twice a week, along with fish once a week (like sardines, or canned tuna/ salmon with the bones). I also give bone meal when I am not able to grind the bones for my dogs. I do feed fruits and veggies to my dogs as well as yogurt daily.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Shaeward

• Socialized
    • Shaeward Boxers
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:52:14 AM »
My biggest fear of supplements is that they'll be over done. I use very few but 1 thing that many feel is a must when feeding raw is a probiotic. Mine get this daily. I've used various individual supplements in the past but not very often (flax seed oil and wheat germ where my two main ones for a while). I now use NuVet Plus (www.nuvet.com)...it covers most of the bases I was covering with individual supplements in the past but is 100% water soluble and is not heat processed (I'm not sure if the supplement you mentioned above is water soluble or not...that's the main reason I like NuVet). Other than the daily dose of probiotic and NuVet, my guys get kelp, garlic and ACV here and there.
~Alisha~
Shaeward Boxers
www.shaewardboxers.com